Retiring from the United States Air Force, after serving 20 years, I decide to continue using my "healing gift," by becoming a massage therapist.
In March of 2003, I attended Headlines Academy, Inc., in Rapid City, South Dakota, completing more than 1200 hours of academic studies, focusing then on Swedish Massage. Not being satisfied, I pursued additional studies of the human body, becoming the practitioner I am today.
My Philosophy of Healing
I have studied (and continue to study) many forms of manual therapy and soft tissue manipulation. Among all the material and texts I have read, among all my experiences of working on people, among conversations with peers and my teachers, and among the other various studies I have done, I am looking for the common thread and the underlying truth. What works to relieve chronic pain, restore someone after injury, help create a easier body, and why does it work? Also, what methods work best and most efficiently?
The more I learn, the more I want to share what I have learned about the body with other people. Why are so many people suffering with unnecessary chronic pain? I want to share knowledge of how and why the body experiences pain, and how one can relieve the pain.
My clinical focus is on managing and eliminating pain (chronic pain and acute pain cases), injury rehabilitation, and correcting alignment including soft tissue dysfunction (e.g. poor posture) for my clients. I feel that this work is very important to improving the quality of life for each individual, and helping them live life to the fullest. I continue to study and research along this path.
Continuing education is a way for massage therapists to continue to enhance our skills and to explore new avenues of healing. Here is a list of courses I have taken:
- RUIT (Repetitive Use Injury Therapy), taught by Michael Young
- NMT (Neuromuscular Therapy), taught by Judith DeLaney
- MFR (Myofascial Mobilization), taught by John Barnes
- Lypossage, taught by Mercedes Jordan
- Ortho-Bionomy, taught by New Mexico Academy of Healing Arts
- Myoskeletal Alignment Techniques, taught by Eric Dalton
- Medical Massage, taught by Tamlynn Cameron
- NMT (Neuromuscular Therapy), taught by LMT Success Group
- Arthrossage (Medical Massage for Arthritis), taught by Adrian Carr
- Advanced Orthopedic/Medical Massage, taught by Tamlynn Cameron